Sprayer Terms Glossary

Here is a list of definitions for several different terms and industry jargon used on this website.

  • Agitation: The process of stirring or mixing within a sprayer tank to keep the spray solution uniformly mixed. This is crucial for consistent application and to prevent settling or separation of products in the tank. Learn more: Adding agitation to your sprayer
  • Application Rate: The volume of spray solution applied to a given area, typically expressed in gallons per acre (GPA). Learn more: Calculating your application rate.
  • Boomless: A type of nozzle or sprayer setup that does not use a traditional boom to hold nozzles. Instead, it uses one or more nozzles capable of producing a wide spray pattern for covering large areas without a physical boom. Learn more: Boom versus Boomless Sprayers: Which One is Right for Me?
  • Broadcast Spray: A method of spraying where the spray is distributed over a wide area uniformly, typically used for applying herbicides, pesticides, or fertilizers over entire fields or lawns. Learn more: Spot Spray Versus Broadcast Spray
  • Centrifugal Pump: A type of pump used in many sprayers, utilizing a rotating impeller to move fluid. It’s known for its ability to handle large volumes of liquid and its durability. Learn More: Sprayer Pump Types
  • Flush: The process of cleaning a sprayer system by running clean water or a cleaning solution through the pump, hoses, and nozzles to remove residual chemicals. Learn more: Cleaning a sprayer
  • GPA (Gallons Per Acre): A measure of the application rate, indicating how many gallons of spray solution are applied over one acre of land. Learn more: What is spray volume per acre? 
  • GPM (Gallons Per Minute): A measure of flow rate through a system, indicating how many gallons of fluid pass through a specific point in one minute. Learn more: Sprayer Calibration Formulas
  • Manifold Flange: A type of plumbing connection used in agricultural spraying and other industries. Uses a clamp and gasket to connect to flat face flanges. Learn more: Manifold Flange Guide
  • Motorized Ball Valve: A ball valve controlled by an electric motor. They can be on/off valves or used to regulate flow within a sprayer system. It can be operated remotely. Learn more: Solenoid Valves vs Motorized Ball Valves
  • Nozzle Body: The part of a sprayer that holds the nozzle in place and connects it to the spray boom. It may include a check valve to stop nozzles from dripping. Learn more: Nozzle Bodies Explained
  • Nozzle Thread: The type of thread on a nozzle body that allows a cap or nozzle to screw onto it. Nozzle thread is a specific and standard size in the sprayer world. 
  • Pressure Based: Refers to sprayer system that relies on maintaining a specific pressure level to control the application rate and output of the sprayer. Learn More: Sprayer Control Types
  • Priming: The process of filling a pump and its system with fluid before starting, ensuring that air is expelled, and the system can operate efficiently from the outset.
  • Rate Controller: A device used to automatically adjust the flow rate of a sprayer’s pump to maintain a consistent application rate, regardless of changes in speed or terrain. Learn More: Electronic Sprayer Control